The History
There is a long history of milling on the site; the present mill dates from 1852, having been redeveloped after a serious fire. The main structure is 5-storeys high and was massively constructed of local granite. During the later 19th century, modern roller mills were introduced and a higher section was added at the north end to accommodate a hoist. Loggans Mill was then Cornwall’s largest flour mill with a floor area of around 1,360 sq. metres and continued in use until the late 1930’s. Afterwards it was switched to processing agricultural supplies. The slated roof was replaced by asbestos sheeting – probably in the 1960’s – and in 1973 it was closed and sold for redevelopment. All of the smaller buildings on the site were demolished in preparation, but the scheme did not proceed and the mill was left to decay.
Conservation Work
Cornwall Buildings Preservation Trust then worked with Cornwall Council to commission a comprehensive Options Appraisal with help provided via a ‘Cold Spots’ grant from the Architectural Heritage Fund.
The Final Report, in 2013, included consideration of 11 apartments for sale or rent and other options for mixed use. Since then, the Council has continued work to find a solution. Its current proposal for 16 affordable houses for rent was granted full planning permission and listed building consent early in 2023. As there is a chronic shortage of affordable housing in Cornwall, this would be a very welcome outcome for the building.
However, the Council has not been able to develop a sustainable business case linked to any of its statutory delivery activity. The Council is keen to find a resolution during 2026-7 and has advised the Trust that it would welcome interest from potential partners experienced in the conversion of large 19th industrial or institutional heritage buildings such as mills, factories or prisons. Interested developers should contact the Property team at: Estatesdelivery@cornwall.gov.uk.











